Access My Health Data
Accessing Your Personal Health Information (PHI)
WHAT: Rochester RHIO provides patients with a consolidated Clinical Care Document (CCD), which will include information about care delivered by any healthcare provider who contributes data to the Rochester RHIO.
WHY: Patients have access to their health information from each of their providers, and from regional health information exchanges. A new federal rule that is a result of the CURES Act requires sharing this formation with patients.
- Patients can receive their PHI through the postal mail, or through a secure, electronic method.
- Patients have the responsibility for protecting the privacy and confidentiality of their PHI once it has been delivered to the destination or their choice. The HIPAA law does not apply to individuals, or most patient health record systems (PHRs) and personal Apps.
WHO: It is very important that Rochester RHIO confirms your identity. If the chosen destination cannot provide us with proof of patient identity and authorization, then the patient will need to undergo identity proofing by the RHIO team.
- Process for minors
- Process for family members
First: Be Informed About Where the Data Goes
- Is the PHR or App part of the CARIN Alliance? This is a new collaborative focused on quality and security of patient digital records.
- Read the Terms and Conditions carefully before forwarding your personal healthcare information. Will this app sell patient data? How will the app use patient data? What security standards do they maintain? Will the data be shared without specific patient permission?
Okay, so you can get your health data – what’s next?
- Fill out the Rochester RHIO HIPAA Authorization Form to request your personal health information (PHI) and send in your request.
- Have the form certified by a Notary. This is how Rochester RHIO validates your identity.
Note: Your bank should have a notary service available to you. If needed, you can make an appointment with Rochester RHIO’s notary. Call RHIO Support to make an appointment.
- Once Rochester RHIO has confirmed your identity, and the information on the form is final, it will take (3-5 business days) to process your request for an electronic or paper CCD. Electronic CCDs will be sent through secure mail. Paper CCDs will be delivered through the U.S. post office to the patient’s provided address, unless otherwise requested.