About Health Information Exchange
Community HIEs (Health Information Exchanges) are one part of a nationwide effort to use information technology to support meaningful use and high quality patient care. By helping providers to manage and exchange patient information electronically, health information exchange:
- Improves overall health care quality
- Reduces duplicate procedures and tests
- Reduces health care costs
- Increases administrative efficiency
- Decreases paperwork
- Aids in preventative and follow-up services to patients
Facts about Rochester RHIO
- Rochester RHIO's health information exchange (HIE) includes over 142 million clinical documents for 1.4 million residents, and counting.
- 89 percent of physicians benefit from one or more Rochester RHIO services.
- More than 97% of patients say “yes” when asked to share their information through Rochester RHIO.
Research published in professional journals shows that improved provider access to patient information through a health information exchange, like the Rochester RHIO, at the point of care:
- Reduces Hospital Readmissions
- Reduces Hospital Admissions from an Emergency Department
- Reduces Duplicate and Unnecessary Imaging Tests